www.englishmed.com - Home

Start > Resource centre > Find the articles > Poisons Part 1

We have mixed up all the articles (a, an, the) in the text below, try and find the correct place for each one..

Poisons Part 1 (Teacher: Michael)

Many trees and plants are poisonous, and hazard for inquisitive youngsters who are always putting things in their mouths. Naturally-occurring poisons are concentrated in seeds and berries but leaves, flowers, sap and roots can contain considerable amount. As general rule, unripe fruits are more dangerous than ripe ones.

The first thing doctor will need to know is what and how much of poisonous plant was eaten, when it was eaten, and what part of plant was consumed. They will also need to know how old patient is and whether they have already vomited after eating plant. If possible, save what remains of plant that was eaten and let doctor or hospital see it for identification purposes as there are specific antidotes to certain plant poisons. Garden plants that cause problems include laurel leaves and their black-currant-looking berries, both of which contain derivatives of cyanide.

Lily of Valley flowers and berries contain chemical which affects rhythm of heart, but fortunately poison is poorly absorbed so its effects are rarely seen. Other common culprits include Laburnum, whether in form of seeds or bright yellow flowers, which contains chemical that poisons in same way as nicotine; wisteria pods, which bring on gastroenteritis, and lupin pods, which cause vomiting and convulsions. Aconite (monkshood) is most poisonous plant in Europe and it can kill.

Read the article

VLC ClozeMaker JavaScript Wizard.
All Rights Reserved.